Thursday, October 24, 2013

A LITTLE RECOVERY NEEDED!!!

After hammering the Gun Run I was in need of a couple of easy days and like a good boy I backed off for the week...
OK after Monday and Tuesday easy I needed a bit of excitment and headed into the forest for a little 11km run with 450m climb, I promise we took it easy, and a little climb is good for you. Thursday, well we ended up at Rhodes Mem for another strength session ending with 10 min of monster stairs...

After an easy run on Friday morning I was ready to start the 4 week count down to Winelands Mararthon. 3 weeks of hard training to follow and to start with a little mountain run...

I parked at the Nek and headed off down the contour path to the style just below the Block House (above Rhodes Mem.)

This I filmed (hope you can see it) just above Kirstenbosch, one day I'm going to have more than my phone to film with...

I made it to the style and headed around Devil's Peak to the face of Table Mountain and took Tafelberg Road to Platteklip...

there aren't no mountain high enough...
After 90min of running I had Plattekilp before me, 600m of climb to the top of the mountain. I was a great day out...
I like to do the climb is around 30min, but today my legs was feeling the few days of 'strength' I had done in the week... Still I hit the watch and started the climb... I wasn't the only person on the mountain and I must have passed over 100 people making their way up, most of whom would be climbing for 2 hours.

I was shattered at the top some 32min later:

Maybe the mountain was high enough!!!
This picture was really take a couple of km later as I stopped for water at one of the streams, I sat on the little bridge and though about how I was going to get back to the car, but after a quick call to my lovely wife I was on my way down and home.

The run was only 27.3km but with over 1300m climb and a lot of single track I had been out for 3h06...

Sunday i didn't run till late afternoon as in the morning I was helping at out clubs race, I was lead bike... With the race taking to guys into the Vineyard I was only taking them to the farm and then as they come out I would again take the leaders home...

Watching the crowds heading in..





See you later
One of the leader in the 14km race!

It's a great race, and if you are here next October, make sure you enter...


Now a week of real marathon training lies ahead, lets see what I can put together...

2 comments:

  1. I swear that you have some mountain goat DNA in your genes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing! A week like that would kill me:)

    ReplyDelete