Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Office is closed this week, so I'm on leave and sitting at home... Well I don't sit very well, so I have lined up a few things for me to do while at home; like fixing the dog box (maybe I've been in it to much this year so it's broken), cutting the ivy, running up the mountain, and cycling to Cape Point. Last night I looked at the weather report and decided that today would be the best day for a little cycled. The weather report was important as it told me that today would have the least wind!!!
So last night I moved my bike to the front door and text a couple of friends inviting them to join me for my little ride. Well at 06h30 when I left the house I was man alone... I took off down the Main Rd at a slow, but steady pace. At this point I will tell you that the ride to Cape Point isn't really that far, and only had a couple of real hills on the way back if you kept riding round the Peninsular. I don't do a lot of cycling and only really use the couple of rides as cross training, and since I do Argus year I need a couple of rides. The first 10 or so km weren't that bad, it wasn't till we turned at Lakeside that you really felt the wind!!!

I put my head down and started the fight!!! It was never ending and very unfriendly. Then at Fishhoek I stopped to check my bike computer and was past by a real cyclist (he had a racer and his cycling pants and top matched). I hopped back on the bike and set chase catching him and then, instead of tucking in out of the wind I past him!!! I couldn't drop him and it didn't take him long to take the lead again. This set the tone for the next 10km as I kept trying to pass and drop him with no success. I really didn't have a chance on my Mnt bike with nobbles and shocks. (The fact that I ride in 5fingers doesn't help on speed either.) For the last couple of km into Simon's Town I had given up and was just going to use him. I was hoping he was going to take me all the way to Cape Point. I wasn't in that kind of luck as he stopped at the Square. I was on my own again.

I was now getting tired of the wind:
The pictures don't do the wind justice, but here at Miller's Point (30km into the ride) I was deciding to turn, but in taking these pictures I saw a text from Mark making some excuse about his Dad's birthday as the reason for not joining me, and now nothing was going to stop me.
Cape Point in the distance, lucky for me I wasn't going all the way to the Point, just to the gate...
Made it, but as you can see I'm a little broken... and I've finished my water. I decided against going on around the Peninsular and just headed back the way I had come...
Now I can tell you about the wind (which thankfully was behind me): On one of the down hills I was sitting up and doing 56km/h without peddling! (I felt as if I was in a vacuum... traveling at the same speed at the wind!!!)
Yes the road is still closed and one is should cycled with the cars over Boys Drive, well I was to stuffed for that so I hopped on the pavement and took on the pedestrians, even stopping to take pictures of the sea...
OK so the ride was all of 71km done in 3h39. I know its not very fast, but I turned at 35.5km in 2h08!!! and got back in 1h31 including the km on the pavement...

Next time I borrow Wills bike and get him to ride as well so I can slipstream the whole way...

No comments:

Post a Comment