Monday, July 19, 2010

IT'S ALL OVER

OK maybe not all over, but things are not going as to the master plan.

This is my first year as a Vet 40+ so I had planned on taking on the club colours and seeing if I could get full standers in all distances. As a senior I didn't really have a chance, but as a Vet it is do-able. A couple of weeks ago I went out to Eesterrivier to run the 15km race. Aiming at 52min I went out and ran 51:38, so this Sunday I was aiming at running a 10km in sub 34min. This was there for the taking, well if you look at the training and the time for the 15km I was in shape to run in the 33's.

Tuesday I did a 1000m session on the track and with times of 3:18 3:16 3:13 3:09 and was feeling good. Wednesday I had wanted to run a little shorter than normal, but because of a dog!!! we ended up running about 1km further than I had planned. That shouldn't have caused any problems, but on the way back to the club the boys picked up the pace to about 4min/km (shouldn't be a problem for me) but as they pulled away on the Main rd I had to let them go as my left hamstring was feeling a bit tight.

I did a bit of home treatment and Thursday I only race 1 x 500m and with another days rest I was feeling OK come Saturday morning. Dawn and I took the dogs for a 3km jog in the green belt and I felt good so Saturday afternoon I headed out to Koeberg for the 5th league Cross Country.

I might well have lead the race over the 1st 400m but I wasn't running hard or fast. with the fast 35's and 40's flying by I had settled into a pace than seemed OK with my delicate body. After crossing the start finish line in 15;36 for the 1st 4km I was happy... for only another 100m!

Then, did a snake bit me, was I short in the hamstring, but that was the end of my race. Yes I could have stopped and turned back the 100 or so meters, but CC is a team sport and if you can you run all the leagues so I chose to hobble round and finish. I was 7 minutes slower for the 2nd 4 km.

My leg was so sore I was worried it wouldn't work when changing gears driving home and I would find myself driving home in 2nd... That didn't happen, but I'm now sitting at the office hoping to get a physio appointment.

As for my 10km I was on the side of the road shouting for Dawn who manage to run her time of sub 45min. This coming weekend I had planned on racing and even winning (if things went to plan) Hout Bay Challange Saturday morning. running the CC that afternoon and then for good measure racing the Trail race on Sunday... Well if Grant can't fix me and fast I will have to sit a couple of those races out.

No comments:

Post a Comment