Monday, January 30, 2012

TRAIL SERIES

On Wednesday evening I ran the 3rd in the Summer Trail Series, Silvermine West. I was feeling a little better than the 1st 2 legs and started hard, I set the pace, yes I had set the pace in the 1st 2 , but then I was trying to slow the race down. Having run this route before I wanted to hit the first climb in the lead.

Pic from the web sight.
That is me in the lead, with Nic, Ben and Derick. I hit the climb 1st with Ben on my tail, and he climbed well staying with me as the others fell off.

The view behind us
I slowed at the top telling Ben to take the lead and push for a win, if he wanted to beat Nic he had to go early and stay ahead. (He was one of my athletes and still calls me Coach)
Ben took the lead and it didn't take long for him to pull ahead, but that was short lived... He couldn't stay ahead as we climbed another rocky bit... Maybe I should have set the pace till then... That said a little rest was needed as we soon hit the jeep track. I let him go and over the next 1km he opened a gap and with the next turn I saw Allan chasing. I took the turn working up to the single track keeping my in 2nd place. Why had a dumped my hat! we were now running into the sun and I needed it. Fighting the sun and the single track Allan caught and past me. He caught up to Ben and the two of them were about 20 meters ahead when I saw the turn, they had missed it I whistled and called... they had rounded the corner and didn't hear!!!. Nic caught me as I started the climb, I was now in the lead and at the top of the 1st bump I could see the others heading round the mountain, I whistled again and waved... they were now back in the race, but far off the pace.

Working Hard
We were now back on the gravel road and still climbing, but it wasn't till the next single track that I was able to open up on Nic...

The climb was over and down we came, as we reach the gravel road again Derick had past just in front of us, boy the sun was playing havoc...(he had missed the last turn onto the single track) Nic ran me down and I didn't let him get away as I raced after him and Derick who was now in the lead!!!

We caught him as we turned onto an overgrown single track. Nic got past at the first chance, but I didn't have time. The decent started and with me chomping at the bit Derick let me pass...

Nic was gone, but I had to go fill tilt down hill as I didn't know who was chasing. At this point things got a little messy as we start to catch the short course!!! It's not a big problem as with my heavy breathing and a few worlds: 'passing right', 'careful', they always step to the side. Back on the gravel, still pushing hard, then a right turn onto a single track, running to fast and I overshot the turn... dam, a few seconds lost, but I'm back on the path without any-one coming past. What's that, Derick is back on my tail... I just have to hold on till the next climb, left turn and up... this 2nd place is mine. I would like to say I broke him on that hill, but I didn't know I didn't look back, I was just chasing the short course guys and passing one by one.

There it is, the turn off the short course... I can see Nic far up front 60+ sec. Once again we have the sun to contend with, and the trail is sandy, but I have a little time to look back, no-one is following... Last loop to the Dam wall and onto the finish.

2nd pace and 1st 40+ That was a nice run I was able to work most of the time, I think I now have the better of Derick, But what about Allan? I beat him by default this time round...

Wednesday 1 February see the next exciting leg of this series...

12 comments:

  1. Great job on the race and AWESOME pics! Just beautiful! If you ever want to make a trip to WY, this race is right out our front door and is really great. You'd be more than welcome to stay with us. :)

    http://elvaqueroloco.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the offer, but I just don't know when we will get to the USA again... I would love to pop over in a couple of years, but it's one holiday at a time and we have to stay local this year (unless I win the lotto). Had a look at the web and it looks like a fun race, just up my street...(or should the say mountain?)

      Delete
  2. Great report of an exciting race in spectacular scenery. Reads like one of those novels you can't put down! Well done on your 1st O/40 placing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I enjoyed writing it, and the picture Nick takes are great...

      Delete
  3. Great work over tough terrain. Now tell me the truth - you are part mountain goat aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome report. would like to run these races myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing! Gotta love passing on the uphill! WOOT! I love the pics too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pics are amazing! I love your competition w/ the guys. Will be interesting to hear how the next round shakes out.

      And why am I not surprised you do speed year round? ; )

      Delete
  6. I don't like to just get out and plod!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welllll, I never fail to be impressed by your race stories. Some good edge of the seat excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I love reading about these races. I'd love to do more trail runs. The scenery is awesome!

    ReplyDelete